Sadly, thousands of people are injured or killed every year in bus accidents. For children who travel to school and back during the week, to people who rely on buses for daily transportation, to those who travel to recreational destinations – buses can be a convenience many people wouldn’t want to do without. However, a bus accident can be especially harrowing and dangerous when you consider the great size of the bus itself, the number of people that can be involved, and the fact that many commercial buses either do not have or do not require the use of seat belts.
Bus accidents can occur for a wise variety of reasons, including:
- Incompetent driving
- Reckless driving by other drivers
- Poor mechanical condition
- Failure to yield to bicyclists or pedestrians
- Drowsy driving
- Road or weather conditions
- Construction issues
- Equipment defects
- Intoxicated or impaired driving
- Ignoring signs
Bus Accident Injuries Can Have Lifelong Impact
The extremely serious nature of a bus accident can mean that a bus passenger can sustain injuries that can be very severe, last a lifetime, and even be life-threatening. Because of the enormous size of a bus, and due to the fact that passengers often ride without seatbelts, the injuries can be horrific. And for pedestrians or other vehicles involved in a bus crash, the results can be tragic as well. Common injuries incurred in bus accidents include:
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Fractured bones
- Sprains and strains
- Severe cuts and bruises
- Spine injuries
- Head injuries – including traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Facial injuries that require reconstructive surgery
- Damage to the jaw and teeth
- Emotional trauma
If you have been injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your financial losses, as well as your pain and suffering. We can help you pursue financial compensation for the following:
- Medical bills. This can include all doctor visits, medication, imaging, treatment, medical devices, travel to and from medical appointments, therapy and rehabilitation, home modification when necessary, psychological counseling, and more.
- Lost income. Your injury may cause you to miss out on work, causing lost wages. This may extend into the future if you can’t return to your job quickly or at all.
- Pain and suffering. Whether the pain you suffer lasts months, years, or forever, you are entitled to financial compensation for your suffering. This may include the psychological and emotional trauma you may experience after a bus accident.
- Loss of consortium. If the relationship you share with a spouse changes as a result of your injuries from a bus accident, you may be entitled to compensation for that change or loss.
- Loss of enjoyment. The trauma of a serious accident can change the way you perceive the world, and the enjoyment you experience in life. If your experience has altered the pleasure you have experienced, you may be entitled to recover compensation.
New Jersey Bus Accident Lawyers at Williams Cedar Help Injured Victims
People who are injured in bus accidents may suffer injuries that range from mild to catastrophic, sometimes requiring long-term or lifelong medical care. It is important to consult with an experienced New Jersey bus accident lawyer about the specifics of your particular accident case. Call Williams Cedar today at 856-470-9777, or submit an online inquiry. We serve clients in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and nationwide.