Mercury Found in Multiple New Jersey School Gym Floors
Recent reports show that multiple New Jersey school districts discovered that their gym floors contain mercury, which may pose significant health dangers to students and staff members. Since the 1960s and as late as 2006, polyurethane flooring has been installed in many schools for use as gym flooring, multipurpose rooms, auditoriums, and cafeterias. The flooring contains phenyl mercuric acetate which emits a mercury vapor that may cause health issues including damage to the central nervous system, kidneys, lungs, and much more. Some school districts such as Washington Township in South Jersey plan to remove and replace the flooring as a precautionary measure. Currently, no set federal or state standards regarding mercury levels in flooring exist.
Toxic chemicals appear in many products that people use on a daily basis including cleaning agents, cookware, and bedding materials. Exposure to even a small amount through the use of a non-stick pan or household paint could lead to serious medical conditions. Mercury vapors issuing from flooring commonly used in schools and nursing home facilities may be a recent discovery but one that is potentially as lethal as any other chemical.
If you or a loved one developed serious health issues due to chemical exposure, our South Jersey toxic tort lawyers at Williams Cedar will investigate your claim and stand up for your rights. Call us at 215-557-0099 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. We proudly represent clients throughout New Jersey, Pennsylvania and nationwide from our offices in Haddonfield, New Jersey, and Philadelphia.